Sunday, August 17, 2008

THANKS TO MACCA

I just have to blog this. So my DIGC 101 assignment suffers a bit . Tuff!

PICS OF THE RECENT PARTIAL LUNAR ECLIPSE

As is often occurring these days, I was woken at 5.30 am this morning by pain in my left foot, a result of getting older, I suppose. Knowing there was no more sleep happening for a while I tuned my bedside radio to Macca's ABC Australia All Over radio program.

A truck driver that had just returned from driving road trains in the Pilbara (driving with 110,000 litres of petrol up you backside) rang in to say that he was near Parkes, it was bloody cold but something interesting was happening. The moon was disappearing. He described it as the moon setting over the western horizon with the top half chopped off. Macca said he knew nothing about but would ring an astrologer mate to find out.

Wondering if it was the same here I grabbed my digital camera and went out the back. I live on top of a hill looking over Port Kembla Harbour and doubted if I would see the moon as the escarpment to the west makes planetary objects "set" a lot earlier than elsewhere.

The truckie from the Pilbara was right, it was cold AND there was something funny with the moon. I was fortunate enough to get some pics of the partial eclipse of the moon (unlike Bonnie Tyler who got a total eclipse of the heart). Unfortunately, my batteries went flat - a cardinal sin as far as I am concerned - and I only managed to get five pics.


I have posted a part of one of them on here. Do you think I will let you get away with seeing the pic and then just disappearing? NO!! I want to use an internet marketing tool to keep your attention; to make you spend a little more of your valuable time in "my cyberspace". I will post only part of the pic with the "important bit" missing. You will have to click on to a link to go to my flickr site to see the "important" bit and then perhaps be moved to comment or even look at some more of my pics , gaining me increased status in cyberspace.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

By the way, for any students wishing to learn a little more of Australian culture, tune in to ABC radio, 97.3 FM from 5.30 on a Sunday morning and have a listen to Macca, he's a true blue Aussie and a cobber to every Australian. Pity I'm such a bastard for not giving you a fair suck of the sav by fart-arsing around.

P.S.
For the physicists - The sun is coming up behind me when I took these pics. How come the shadow of the earth is on the top half of the moon? Shouldn't the shadow be on the bottom? I promise you the pics have not been retouched.

No comments: