Monday, September 8, 2008

WELL WELL

Re: Effectiveness of Blogs as a form of Online Communication

Blogs are an effective means of communication in many ways.
Specifically on the gender issue discussed in Melissa Greg’s article. I argue there is a direction in her paper that I do not quite agree with. Some of the feminist arguments are a bit thin for my liking. “Where are all the women bloggers?” There are plenty of women bloggers on line. I have found when looking for Web 2.0 (commencing 2 years ago) that there are many women contributing to intelligencia on the net. I consider her viewpoint in mentioning that women are perceived as blogging about knitting, pets etc. is incorrect. The internet has given women freedoms whch they are free to take. Gender issues are diminished on the internet, especially from an epistemic viewpoint. I consider gender values are only raised due to personal bias and are very easily dealt with on the net. I feel many women have found a new freedom in the use of blogs, for whatever reason. Any argument saying they suffer from exclusion can be argued as false. Actually, Gregg’s mentioning of women’s only blogs which exclude men sounds a little condescending.
I will argue that blogging has given women a platform where they are on equal terms in relation to age, gender, opinion, status and class. If the feminist movement wishes to subliminally crucify themselves by taking a defensive stance instead of taking advantage of the opportunities availed (not granted patriarchically but through the technologies available) then so be it. I for one, welcome all to blog to their heart’s content, feeling free of exclusion issues such as gender, race, status, class, politics and especially the public/private divide.

No comments: